List #4: Ten Albums I Like A Lot25 May, 2009
This is not a top ten, by any means. I’ve never been good at ranking things like music or movies, even enough to pick a definite “favorite” (although the two movies I would be happy watching without any others for the rest of my life would be Airplane and Independence Day with Jaws and Bladerunner somewhere in the vicinity as well). But, I know which ones I like. Here are ten of them. I’m using bullets instead of numbers because they are all pretty much equal in my mind. I’m also not counting live albums I like a lot because those are a lot like greatest hits albums, but with cheering, so it shouldn’t count.
- Radiohead – OK Computer
- The Killers – Hot Fuss
- The Decemberists – The Crane Wife
- The Magnetic Fields – 69 Love Songs Volume 2 [I figure it would be cheating to have the full 3-CD set.]
- Guster – Parachute [This is an old one but I only just discovered it]
- The Weepies – Hideaway [This is really great. Their other one, Say I Am You is less good but still nice.]
- Ben Folds – Rockin’ The Suburbs [Except for the title track which I really hate.]
- William Shatner – Has Been [I got this as a semi-joke gift because it’s William Shatner. But, it’s actually really good… Weird, I know, but check it out.]
- Dire Straits – Brothers In Arms
- Meatloaf – Bat Out of Hell
Okay so the last two I started scrolling through my iTunes to find. But, as I said, this isn’t necessarily a top ten, so it’s okay to do that. I would really enjoy listening to any of these again. What’s also nice is that all of these, with perhaps the exception of Bat Out of Hell and Has Been are really good to listen to just a song at a time, and yet all are still amazing as actual albums (except for Rockin’ the Suburbs, where I have to skip Track 9 every time). It’s good when an album is greater than the some of its parts, but the parts are still great in themselves. Anyway, if you haven’t heard any of these, check them out!