I recently wrote an article about the Newport Folk Festival on my other blog, and it got me to realizing how wonderful NPR has been in introducing me to bands that I wouldn’t have otherwise heard of. Here are some:
- Andrew Bird. Okay, so I had heard of him before, but only a few songs. A live concert or two got me hooked.
- Neko Case. I apparently had a full album before I heard her on NPR, but never knew it. She’s awesome.
- The Weepies. This isn’t strictly true. I still think I once heard an interview with them, but I can’t find any record of it.
- She & Him. A group consisting of Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward. I like them together, but not Ward by himself. This individual concert also turned me on to the Newport Folk Festival.
- St. Vincent. I’m still figuring out what I think about them. I love them/her (it’s mainly one singer) live, but the albums that I’ve listened to leave something to be desired.
- The Avett Brothers. Sometimes they’re too loud, but their folky stuff is great. (They were also at Newport.)
There are also a bunch of artists, like the Decemberists, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, and so on, that have concerts archived through NPR. Also many world music groups. It’s an amazing resource and I’d encourage you all to check it out. Especially listen to these few ones I picked out, but there are so many more, too.